Thursday, June 28, 2012

Good Stuff

Thought I share a recent Facebook conversation from the other day. Good stuff.

Starts off with me:


I think we are all too complacent--myself included. As outraged as I get at the current state of government (especially in CA and the Federal level) I do not protest. I do not care to loose my job, or possibly go to jail. I have a roof over my head and food in my fridge. My family is safe. I don't want to jeopardize this.

So what do I do? I write to government officials only to receive the standard reply letter. I vote for the same two parties, who's been bickering with each other for decades, hoping that this time around things will be different. Then I act surprised when events continue to move in the same direction they've always gone.

I'm starting to wonder if there is anyway to change this country. Those in power have figured out this game very well. We'd need something unprecedented. Like the entire population of a city or state refusing to pay taxes or to work until their government gets to work. This probably won't happen though because we are all too comfortable and we don't want to make the sacrifices needed for such an act.

The most interesting reply:

Have you looked inside to see what can change?

My reply to the most interesting reply:

Inside myself? I can attempt to be more proactive and less complacent. I can join existing organizations to see if I can make an impact, or even run for office. Josh the lobbyist! 

Inside the system? I can only guess at what needs to be changed. Resources and research would be needed to make a truly informed argument. Of course that won't stop me from typing the rest of this fun rant :)

From my limited perspective I think there is tons of room for improvements in education and infrastructure. The tax code needs an overhaul, and there could be better oversight of government aide programs. The healthcare system is equally expensive and horrendous. I believe everyone should have the right to healthcare, and I'm open to suggestions on how to make that happen.

The defense department needs to stop chasing the imaginary dragon (aka big air/sea war with China), and focus more on projects like AFRICOM and COIN. It also be nice if we stopped propping up dictators/terrorist that eventually come to hate us. Mexico should be our highest priority. Creating a united North American continent would be a historic milestone, and could solve many of our current immigration "issues."

Alternative energy solutions must be explored and executed (Presidents since the dawn of television have been making this empty promise). There are also many environmental issues that could use greater attention. Politicians should wear jackets with patches indicating who's funding their career--like those NASCAR guys. Citizen United is one of the worse Supreme Court decisions in this countries history.

At the state level CA needs to get rid of the way laws are written. Having every law go to vote is bogging down everything. Most voters don't have the smarts to balance their own pocket book let alone balancing one of the worlds largest economies.

Geez I could probably keep going, but I'll stop here. Good questions Mr. Houston. Got me thinking, and I like that. None of these issues are simple, and the solutions are obviously complex. Please don't take any of the above as the right answer. These are only thoughts and opinions from one slightly buzzed man. (I am pretty awesome though.)

A reply to my reply to the most interesting reply:

Perhaps the most sensible reference I can reply with would be Gandhi's famous quote, "Be the change you want to see in the world." Simple, and incredibly useful. 

It's not my desire to change your perspective ... at the very least, I would hope my comment can shed light on the potentials that lie within you and the rest of humanity. Believe it or not, you have more power than you realize. YOU are the one you've been waiting for.

If joining a movement is where you feel your energy would best serve, then my thoughts would say to follow that inclination. The same goes for voting, paying taxes, and doing everything else a sensible citizen of a nation in this world feels obligated to be doing ... but definitely realize that submitting to these issues and giving them power by believing that there is no way out leaves you powerless.

Know your potentials! Know yourself! and also, don't take it all so seriously ;)

I love well thought out mature conversations. A rare gem found in the dung pile that is the internet. 

No comments: